Seeing your child choke before your very eyes has to be one of the scariest things that can happen to a parent. The horror must be indescribable seeing a tiny, panic-stricken face, ridden with desperation, lips turning blue and silently gasping for air.
Justin Morrice, father of then 10-month-old Annabelle from Saskatchewan, Canada, posted about just such a traumatic experience on Facebook to warn other parents:
This post has been shared over 60,000 times. Even though this dad was lucky to have succeeded in dislodging the food from his child’s throat, it’s important to note that the action of sticking your finger into a infant’s mouth or throat is not recommended. This can actually cause the obstruction to move further down the throat or result in swelling. The American Red Cross offers online and in-person training and Babycenter demonstrates a step-by-step guide for how to handle choking.
It is a parent’s duty to be informed about such procedures, which can be stressful, but it’s much better to be prepared in case a situation arises unexpectedly. Fortunately for Annabelle and her father, everything was ok in the end. Life is all about learning important lessons and the better informed we are, the better we are able to help ourselves and our loved ones.